Pages

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Spark Student Motivation Saturday - Camping Constitution

Hello, Everyone!  Today I am linking up with Joanne from Head Over Heels for Teaching for her inspirational linky, Spark Student Motivation Saturday.

In social studies, we are working on government.  My partner teacher and I were on the search to find some fun activities to go with this unit, and we came across a couple of great activities.  The one I'd like to share with you today is a Camping Constitution readers' theater.  (My awesome teaching partner found this one here.)


The six characters in this script work through decisions about a camping trip.  They go through the process of compromise and come up with a Camping Constitution.


My students love readers' theater, and they had a ball acting out this script.  We also had a great discussion afterward, and this script turned out to the the perfect introduction to the Constitution.  There are only six parts, but we do a lot of acting in social studies.  Students who didn't get a chance to act in this script knew they would have another chance soon! 

I'm off to check out all the other motivational ideas.  Thank you, Joanne for hosting this linky.  I just love it! 

Have a great weekend!  I think we are actually going to get some sun in Columbus, so I am planning on taking full advantage of that!

4 comments:

  1. I've never thought to do Reader's Theater in Social Studies. I'm going to check this out! Enjoy the nice weather!

    Sara :)
    The Colorful Apple

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to hook their attention for a Constitution unit! I love it!

    Rebecca
    Ladybugs Lounge

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm planning on incorporating more Reader's Theater after our testing the following week. I agree, students love it and it's very motivational! The best part...they're learning! I like it to help with fluency too. I need to see if I can find one for Florida History-perfect subject to integrate! Thanks for sharing another great idea Mary!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love Readers' Theater. I actually did my master's thesis on building fluency & comprehension using RT. It is awesome and I love the idea of using it in the content areas. This looks like a fun product. Enjoy the sun!!!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete