Pages

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Tried it Tuesday - Task Card Scavenger Hunt


Hello, Everyone1  Today I am excited to link up with Holly from Fourth Grade Flipper for her awesome linky, Tried it Tuesday.

I love task cards.  I have several sets, and many more on my wish list at TPT.  To this point, I have used task cards for small group review, introductory activities using the ELMO, and "Scoot" activities where students rotate in groups to discuss and answer different cards.  Well, yesterday I tried something different.  I hid the cards in different places around the room.  Nothing too difficult as you can see from the pictures below.




Anyway, I gave the students an answer sheet, and they had to find the cards and record their answers.  I could tell they were enjoying the activity because the room was silent... for both of my language arts classes during this entire activity.  That is generally one of the best signs of student engagement.

I am definitely going to use this activity again with other task cards.  One thing I would change is that I wouldn't use all of the cards at once.  I ended up continuing the activity today which meant leaving the cards spread out over the room.  Next time, I will select 10-15 cards instead of using all 32. Other than that, I am very happy with this fun way to squeeze in some comprehension practice/test prep.

For this activity, I used Rachel Lynette's Context Clues task cards.  Her task cards are awesome!  I highly recommend checking them out, if you haven't already.

Context Clues Task Cards: 32 Cards for Grades 4-5

I'm off to see what everyone else has tried.  Make sure to check out Holly's link up, as there are always lots of great "tried its".

6 comments:

  1. My kids love this kind of activity, too, especially my eighth graders! I call it SCATTER because I scatter the cards all around the room in no particular order. We try to do this at least once a week.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scatter is a great name for this activity - thanks!! :)

      Delete
  2. I am a task card fanatic too! I love this new idea for using them! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh....I like this idea, Mary! I'm definitely going to try doing this. My kids get so loud and I worry about them interrupting my podmates. It would be fun to have a silent scavenger hunt!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea! I really need to get into the task card craze! I love that there was total silence around your room while your students were working. You KNOW they are engaged!!

    Jen
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Rachel's task cards and this is an awesome idea to switch things up a bit!! Thanks for sharing, Mary! :)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete