Pages

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Workshop Wednesday - Biography Hooks


Hello Everyone!  Today, I am linking up with Jivey from Ideas by Jivey for her awesome linky, Workshop Wednesday.


This week's topic is biographies.  This works out perfect for me because we will start biographies in two weeks, after our OAA testing is over.  I have found one of the more challenging things about teaching biographies is writing an engaging lead.  Students tend to begin with the date and place of birth.  This year, I am really going to push my students to hook their readers.

There are lots of great mentor texts for biographies out there.  I am going to share three of my favorites to use for crafting leads.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilma-Unlimited-Rudolph-Became-Fastest/dp/0152020985/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397695765&sr=1-1&keywords=wilma+unlimited


http://www.amazon.com/Strong-Man-Story-Charles-Atlas/dp/0375829407/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397695817&sr=1-4&keywords=strong+man


http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Photobiography-Houghton-Mifflin-studies/dp/0395518482/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397695854&sr=1-1&keywords=lincoln+a+photobiography

 

I can't wait to read all of the other great ideas for biographies!  Thank you, Jivey, for hosting this linky!  

Enjoy the rest of the week and the long weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Using mentor texts to help develop strong leads is such a great tool! I did the same thing when we wrote our biography research report. I had my students write their draft, then we used a mentor text to rewrite it four different ways and then chose one of them. I have a copy of the handout that I am going to email you because I think you will like it! :)

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mary! I wanted to say hi! I found you from your biography post from Jivey and am your newest follower. :) I wanted to know if I could list your awesome blog on my favorite blog page?
    ~Heather
    Mrs. Renz' Class

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I love Wilma Unlimited too!
    Thanks for linking up!
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete