Pages

Sunday, May 4, 2014

A Peek at my Week

I can't believe that we are already in the first weekend of May!  I am still waiting for some consistent spring weather.  However, considering the winter we had, I will take this all day long!

Today I am linking up with my good friend, Jennifer from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings, for her fun linky, A Peek at my Week.



Today I am going out to dinner with my "baby brother" (25) to celebrate his graduation from The Ohio State University.  I am one proud big sister!


Students have been working hard taking notes for their biographies.  This week, they will begin the first draft.  I posted about the mentor texts I use for this here.  In addition, I purchased one recommended by JiveyElizabeth Leads the Way is an awesome mentor text for biography hooks.  Thank you, Jivey for this great recommendation!


 
This week, we are taking two field trips related to social studies.  On Tuesday, we are going to spend the morning at The State House.  This trip is perfect right now, as we are focusing on government.


Rear of Ohio State House

On Thursday, we are taking another half day field trip to The Kelton House.  This was an actual stop in The Underground Railroad.  My students took a strong interest in this unit, especially on how Ohio played such a big role in The Underground Railroad.  I am definitely looking forward to taking them to see this important piece of our history.

Kelton house, Columbus


columbus-haunted-house 

As usual, this weekend is flying, but I am looking forward to a fun week.  Right now, I am off to check out what everyone else has planned.  Thank you, Jennifer, for hosting this linky!

Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. The Underground Railroad is fascinating! I lived in a town where there was a church with secret rooms and tunnels underneath that were part of the Underground Railroad too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to your baby brother! What a great accomplishment. Have a great field trip! We usually go to our state capital (Madison), but we gave that trip away to the 5th grade for next year. A two hour bus ride is no fun. :)

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete