Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Tried it Tuesday - Google Docs

All year long, I have been wanting to try Google Docs for a writing piece.  I finally decided to take the plunge during our final writing project - biographies.  I am linking up with the wonderful Holly from Fourth Grade Flipper for her helpful linky, Tried it Tuesday to let you know how it's going.


We are about midway through drafting our biographies, and I just love using Google Docs!  Honestly, I wish I would have been using it all year, and I will certainly use it next year.

http://oakhill.newton.k12.ma.us/sites/oakhill.newton.k12.ma.us/files/users/3/google_docs_image.png

The ability to comment is definitely my favorite part.   (I just made this up to show an example.)  I love how it highlights the part where you insert a comment.  You can highlight a space, a letter, a word, a sentence, or an entire portion of the text.


Right now, I just have one log in, so all comments are under my name.  This summer, I will definitely investigate this further.  I am very excited about using Google Docs for my writing in the future.

You can open up a Google Docs account at docs.google.com.  It is easy and free!

I can't wait to see what everyone else has tried this week.  I am already thinking about several things I want to try for next year.  I am going to check out Holly's blog for to add some more ideas to my list!  Thank you, Holly, for hosting this extremely helpful linky!

Have a great week!

4 comments:

  1. My goal this summer is to really sit down and mess with Google Docs. I have it on my ginormous list of things to do. I know a little bit about it, but I'm going all in with it next year. I wish I would've thought to do it sooner too. We are doing our biographies right now as well.
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you had any problems with formatting in google docs? My students just typed their bio projects and the formatting got all screwed up for some of them. (Some margins were 4" wide and others had no margins.) I have heard this can be a problem with google docs. Just curious to hear what you thought...

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have used google docs for some home and blog things, but I have not used it with my students yet. We only have two computers in the class and I think it might be challenging. Do you have a class set of computers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Google docs has my been on my to-try list too but I have been waiting for the tech guy to set up accounts. Did you set your own accounts? I would love to try it before the end of the year! Thanks for linking up, Mary and for your kind words. :)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete