Pages

Friday, June 27, 2014

Improving the Poem of the Week on Freebie Friday


I love the Poem of the Week.  Each day, we talk about some aspect of the poem (theme, vocabulary, patterns, etc.)  I was doing some thinking on how I can make some improvements for next year.  I came up with three things I plan on changing.


At least once a week, we select a word from the poem and discuss what it means.  The word is posted on the word wall and used for future vocabulary activities.  This year, we are going to sort the words by part of speech as we discuss the meaning.  We will post the words under one of these signs.






I know adjectives and adverbs are easily confused, so I am including some questions to help.



I don't have a whole lot of wall space, so I am using cupboard doors like this.  There are doors below the counter as well.  I am planning of filling up both the top and bottom doors by the end of the year.  We pull words from read alouds as well.


If you are interested in these headings, you can get them for free here.

http://www.teachingblogaddict.com/search/label/Freebie


We read the poem multiple times throughout the week to practice fluency.  Students like to try different voices to mix things up.  I looked on TPT for some voice cards, but I couldn't find exactly what I wanted.  I ended up making my own.

 

I made 20 different cards and four editable ones for your own ideas.  If you are interested, you can check out all of the cards here.  (The preview shows all of the cards.)


I am also going to incorporate items from Mrs. Laffin's "Pausing for Poetry".  This is an excellent resource!

Pausing for Poetry - Understanding Poetry in 10 Minutes a Day

My favorite part are these sheets with skills to work on every day.  I like that the students have a place to record what we worked on.  There are several different sheets, so you can mix up the skills.


Previously, my students would write on the poem or on some random page in  their reading notebook.  This will be so much better.  Be sure to check out everything else that is included in this wonderful resource by clicking here.

Do you use a weekly poem?  What do you like best about it?

Thank you and have a great weekend!

7 comments:

  1. I love these ideas. I have been looking for ways to incorporate more poetry in my class but I have struggled with finding "good" poems. Where do you find the poems that you use?

    ~Sarah~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,
      Three of my favorite poetry books are Lunch Money, Honey I Love, and Once I Ate a Pie.
      Mary

      Delete
    2. Mary,
      Thank you for the book recommendations. I have added all three to my summer shopping list. Can't wait to try out some of your great ideas next year!
      ~Sarah~

      Delete
  2. I also like your ideas, I might have to try a poem a week this next year, especially with your ideas! Thanks for sharing!

    Teaching Special Kids

    ReplyDelete
  3. I barely have any wall space at all. I want to hang everything I see, but I just can't. :( Your Parts of Speech poster look great and I love the questions that accompany them for extensions.
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I love your word wall headings. I was thinking about what I normally put up on my walls during the year and I think I might only put up words this next year. all the other anchor chart stuff I can have on the projector board or in notebooks on the kids' tables.
    ~Heather
    The Meek Moose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Weekly Poem ideas are fantastic! Great way to build fluency and vocabulary.

    Susan
    Passioninportableland

    ReplyDelete