Pages

Sunday, August 17, 2014

A Peek at my Week

I am officially back in the swing of things.  This week will be my second week back, and I am excited to spend some more time getting to know my students.  I am linking up with my friend Jennifer from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings to share some of my plans on her fun linky, A Peek at my week.


 

In social studies, we are reviewing map skills.  Tomorrow, we will practice using a map scale.  Before having students practice with an actual map scale, we are going to create some of our own scales using this activity.
 I put this on a Google Doc.  If you are interested, you can download it here.


In language arts, we will spend the week going over procedures, and I will likely begin Benchmark Assessments.  I am going to share a few poems that I love to use in language arts at the beginning of the year.

I have language arts right before lunch.  I am planning to use this poem to lead into a friendly reminder of some lunch rules.  


This poem comes from the book Messing around on the Monkey Bars.  There are some great poems for two voices in this book.  A huge thank you goes to Hoots n' Hollers for this recommendation!  I love this book, and I am sure to pull poems from it all year!

Product Details

I paired students up to interview each other.  They should finish their interviews tomorrow, and we will share them throughout the week.  We will spend a lot of time discussing different strengths among different students in the class.  Here is a great poem to introduce this conversation.


This poem comes from Almost Late to School.  There are tons of great school poems here!

Product Details

Finally, we will continue to discuss the importance of classroom participation.  I am huge on this.  I know not all students are eager to participate.  I absolutely love it when I see students gain confidence in this area throughout the year.  Here is a great poem to initiate this conversation.


This poem comes from Lunch Money.  I have had this book for more years than I care to admit, and it is still one of my all time favorites. 

Product Details

(I blogged about another great poem from this book, Far Away, here.  This poem is perfect for real vs. fake reading.) 

That's it for me.  It's almost my bedtime, but I am going to check out the other link ups first.  I am looking forward to seeing what everyone else has planned as they wrap up their summer and/or start up their school year.  Thank you, Jennifer for hosting this fun linky!

Have a great week everyone!

4 comments:

  1. I love all the fun poems as springboards! I will have to remember that little "trick". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marked this post to go back to later. Love the idea of using quick poems to introduce something, or tie in just for fun! Thanks for sharing!

    Mary
    4th Works

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have added the Messing Around on the Monkey Bars book to my Amazon wishlist! Thanks!
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again, you with the awesome book recommendations! I just received "The Leader in Me" yesterday from your recommendation. I'm half way through it and am buzzing with ideas. Thanks so much!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete