Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Positive Thinking, Technology, & Throwback Thursday


Wow!  These last two weeks have been a whirlwind.  Going back to school is always an adjustment, but a very positive one as we get to meet and teach another wonderful group of children.  It is in that spirit that I am linking up with my friend, Jennifer from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for Positive Thinking Thursday.


One of my personal goals this school year is to really model the 7 habits for my students.  I am sure when there will be times I will need to remind myself to put first things first and not stress about the little things.  This Irish proverb says it better than I ever could.


I couldn't agree more!

Today, I am also linking up with The Teaching Trio for Technology Thursday.


This will be a Throwback post, so I will link up with Angela from The Teacher's Desk 6 for Throwback Thursday as well.


I picked this post partially because it includes a freebie that I use quite often.  I hope you find it helpful!

Hello Everyone!  Today I'd like to share a great comprehension app I found called Stick Pick.

 

This app allows you to create individualized questioning activities for multiple groups.  After you program students' names, you select their level of questioning based on Bloom's Taxonomy.  When you tap the stick can, it randomly generates a name.  Under that name is a list of question stems for that particular level of Bloom's.  Here is a sample for the comprehension level.


You could use this app to ask your students questions about their reading.  However, I used it in a different way.  One of my reading groups is working on a talk show project where they will be interviewing characters from their book.  We are working on expanding the types of questions they are asking.  When we met in a reading group, I used this app to help them generate questions.  I also typed out the questions stems so they can refer to it throughout the project and for future use.  

There is a way to track how many questions students answer correctly, so you will know when to move them to the next level.  I haven't tried that yet, but here is a sample I found.


Anyway, I am always looking for new ways to change up the way I ask questions.  This app definitely helped.  It also helped inspire me to create a new SMARTboard activity.


This is a random question generator that I started using at the end of our read aloud a couple of days a week.  Sometimes I ask the question, and other times students ask the question.  It definitely requires thinking on your feet, but it has been a lot of fun so far.  If you have a SMARTboard and would like to give this a try, you can download it here (free).

That's it for me today.  I am off to check out all of the other positive thoughts, technology ideas, and throwback posts.  Thank you, Jennifer, Teaching Trio, and Angela for hosting these fun linkies!

Enjoy the rest of the week!

3 comments:

  1. I love that proverb, especially the part about the nap. :).

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post in many ways! Thanks for the ideas. Just downloaded stick pick, and look forward to trying it out.

    Mary
    http://4thworks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete