Pages

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Spark Student Motivation Saturday

Well, I successfully completed the first full week of school, Meet the Teacher Night, and our first assembly.  Now, I am excited to link up with the wonderful Joanne from Head Over Heels for Teaching for her fun linky, Spark Student Motivation Saturday.


Our first social studies unit is geography.  One of the standards my students need to master is learning the states that surround Ohio.  Today, I am going to share an activity we completed this week to practice learning standard.

One of my favorite resources for teaching social studies is Ohio Studies Weekly.


Inside the first issue is a map that includes the states that border Ohio.


I had students reproduce the map the best they could.  I told them not to worry about getting all of the lines right.  The basic shape is fine.  They turned out something like this.


After completing the drawing, the students cut it into puzzle pieces.  I really stressed that it is not important to cut exactly on the lines.  This activity was meant to be practice learning where the states are located.


The students exchanged puzzles, and they assembled their partner's puzzle.  After using the original map to check the puzzles, students glued their own puzzles into their notebook.


The students enjoyed this activity and ended up with a study aid in their notebooks.  I loved that it was very little prep.  Now, that's teacher motivation!

I am off to check out all of the other motivating ideas.  Thank you, Joanne for hosting this awesome linky!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love that the students switch puzzles.

    Kim
    Quinnessential Lessons

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the same Social Studies Weekly Resource, but for Florida! I love your puzzle idea!

    Susan
    Passioninportableland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Puzzles are awesome - I found some for synonyms and antonyms and they were a hit! :)

    ReplyDelete