Pages

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Sparking Student Motivation on the First Days

 
I had an excellent start to the school year!  I have two very energetic groups of students this year.  This works for me because I have an active teaching style.  On Wednesday's post, I shared one opening activity using "dough".  Today, I am linking up with Joanne from Head Over Heels for Teaching to share a couple of other fun opening activities on Spark Student Motivation Saturday.


Creating rules and reviewing/introducing procedures are absolutely critical during the first few days of school.  However, I believe it is equally as critical to have activities that allow for students to get to know each other and move around a bit.  I always enjoy doing some movement after an activity like creating rules, etc.

Students need to know where everything is located in the room.  Before giving them a tour, I have them partner up and go on a scavenger hunt.  I have found they remember where things are much better this way.


Another way to get students up and moving is Welcome Back BINGO.  Students have to find someone in the classroom to meet each description.  Once they have a BINGO, they try to fill up the entire board.  We got lucky this year when our principal walked in a played along for a while. 


I also created a set of question task cards for students to use.  I placed small stacks of them at various tables around the room.  Students moved around in small groups and learned about each other.  Here are a few samples of the cards we used.



The last activity I would like to share is a "line up" or grouping activity.  I give students a category, and they have to figure out how to organize themselves.  For example, I might say, "Line up in order of your birth dates."  Students would then form a line in birth order.  Another one I use is, "Group yourselves according to how many siblings you have."  I like to mix in a couple of these during the first few days of school.

I hope you had/will have a fun first few days of school.  Enjoy getting to know your new group of children and all the gifts that each one will bring to your classroom!

If you are interested in purchasing the task cards and BINGO game, they are part of my Getting to Know You pack.  You can check it out by clicking here or on the image below.


http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Getting-to-Know-You-Task-Cards-Surveys-BINGO-815932

 I am off to check out all of the other motivating ideas.  Thank you, Joanne for hosting this awesome linky!  

1 comment:

  1. Love your bingo board! I do something similar. It is a great activity to start the year!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete