Pages

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Spark Student Motivation Saturday - Freeze Frames


My students had their first social studies test this week.  Because this was the first test, we definitely wanted to make sure they were set up for success.  We had several different review activities leading up to the test.  I am going to share my favorite with you by linking up with the wonderful Joanne from Head Over Heels for Teaching for Spark Student Motivation Saturday.


We have been studying the Paleo and Archaic Indians.  However, this activity could work for any unit.

I handed each student a blank piece of paper and a summary of the unit.  The summary was divided into 24 small parts.


I have 24 students in both of my classes, so each student highlighted their class number.  On the blank piece of paper, they wrote down their part.  I called up the students one at a time.  First, I took a picture of their sign.  Next, I took a picture of them in a "Freeze Frame" to represent what they wrote. The students had a ball with this.  It was so much fun watching their poses.

That night, I downloaded all the pictures to iMovie.  We watched the video the next day for additional review.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-o9_wRV8qnNA/TsrzpAj14jI/AAAAAAAAA6Q/OaCz--jk1lU/s320/imovie.jpg 

I only have 25 minutes to teach social studies.  (That's counting transition time.)  I was able to complete the whole movie in one class period.  This activity served as a quick, effective, and fun way to review the main points of this unit.  I will definitely try something like this again in the future.

I am off to check out all of the other motivating ideas!  Thank you, Joanne for hosting this linky!  I get so many great ideas from reading these posts each week.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

6 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! I wish I could see your movie; I bet the kiddos really enjoyed it! I'm thinking how I can incorporate this into science with my sixers. Hmmm?

    Thanks for sharing,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea Mary! I wish I could see it too! It's a win-win, they love making a movie and you're teaching them to review! I love it! Thanks for sharing and linking up!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever idea!!! I only get about 30 minutes to teach Social Studies so anything that is fun and quick is a keeper :)

    -Katie
    http://thepawsitivepencil.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too want to see the movie! I am a visual learner... but this sounds like a lot of fun!!

    -Lisa
    Mrs. Spangler in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I need to look into getting permission to show some of our videos. I am very hesitant to post student pictures on the web though.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary this is an awesome idea!!! I can't wait to give this a try!!

    Rachel
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete