Pages

Monday, September 22, 2014

Think Marks

At this time of the year, our reading instruction is focused on teaching that "Reading is Thinking."  In the past I have had students code text as they read, but the initial lessons seemed to go exceptionally well this year.

I found this wonderful freebie from Just a Primary Girl that really helped.

Think Mark Anchor Chart

I put a copy of it on my ELMO and we shared examples of the different responses during our poem of the week discussion.  We used the poem "Bad Words" from the book Giant Children.




Here are the think marks and responses we came up with together.



I printed out a copy of the poster for students to put in their reading notebooks.


During reading workshop, students stopped and coded text at various points in their reading.  At the end of silent reading time, students placed their Post-it notes in their reading notebook.  (I had them write page numbers on the Post-its as well.)  Next to each think mark, students had to write specific evidence from the text to support their thinking.

We had to limit our share time to one per person because so many students wanted to share.  (They especially loved the LOL and eyeballs marks.)  This was a "problem" that I was thrilled to have.  Nothing makes me happy quite like enthusiastic responses to reading.

I want to send a huge thank you to Just a Primary Girl for creating this fabulous freebie!

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment