Pages

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Spark Student Motivation Saturday - Video Games & Transitions


This week, I taught students some final lessons to polish up their realistic fiction narratives.  I was able to find several fun activities, but they loved the lesson on transitions the most.  I am going to link up with Joanne from Head Over Heels for Teaching for her awesome linky, Spark Student Motivation Saturday to share this lesson with you.


 Once students were settled on the carpet, I showed this on the SMART Board.


I explained how Pong was the very first video game and how "cool" we all thought it was.  (Of course, I had to play a game to show all the awesome graphics!)  Next, I told my students that I was going to read them a story about how video games have changed over the years.  Here's what I read them.

 

We had an interesting conversation about why this was not good writing.  Initially, some of the students thought I did not write in sentences.  We had a quick review of why they were sentences, but just not very good ones.  Students saw how boring writing can be with the same words repeated over and over again with no additional details.

Enter Flocabulary.

I showed students this fun rap about the transition of video games, and they loved it!


(I can not get the video to play on my blog, but click here for the link.)
 
After hearing the song and seeing the lyrics, students were exposed to lots of great words to use as transitions.  (When the lyrics appeared on the screen, the transitions were in yellow/green.)


I passed out a copy of the lyrics to each student.  They worked with a partner to highlight the transition words.


When they were finished, students shared the transitions on the ELMO one stanza at a time.

Afterwards, I gladly honored their request to play the song one more time.  Then, I showed the students an anchor chart I had made ahead of time with all the transition words from the song.


They were actively using the list during writing time.  Hooray!

On a completely different note, today is my birthday.  I am looking forward to celebrating by spending some quality time with my family and friends as well as watch the Buckeye get a huge win tonight!  One more way I am celebrating is to have a sale in my TPT store.  Everything is 20% off today and tomorrow!

Now, I am off to check out all of the other motivating ideas that are linked up.  Thank you, Joanne for hosting this linky.  I have used many of these ideas in my classroom, and I have loved them all!

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great lesson. Transitions can make such a big difference in their writing! Thanks for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My students enjoyed the game and rap, and I love how they are integrating the words. Have a great weekend!

      Mary

      Delete
  2. This is perfect timing - we will be going over transitions in the next week or so! Thanks! And Happy Birthday!!

    -Lisa
    Mrs. Spangler in the Middle

    ReplyDelete