Pages

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Spark Student Motivation Saturday: Traits of a Monster


This week in reading, we started working on character traits.  I tried a fun lesson that really seemed to motivate my students.  Today, I am linking up with the wonderful Joanne from Head over Heels for teaching for her awesome linky, Spark Student Motivation Saturday to share this lesson.


To start this lesson, I called all the students to the carpet.  Then I showed this picture on the SMART Board.
Students were immediately curious about the day's lesson.  First, we had a quick review of internal and external traits.  Then, I had students turn and talk to their neighbors to share Mike's external traits.

After their discussion and a quick share out, I showed students this clip.  I told students to pay attention to Mike's internal traits.


After the clip was over, I reminded students of the model we are using for character traits.

Mike is ____________.
I know this because ___________.
(What did Mike say or do?)

I had students write and justify traits in their notebooks.  They have this list to refer to if  they are stuck on traits. The list comes from Nicole Shelby's awesome Interactive Notebook.


As students shared their answers, I recorded their responses.  Most of them were able to take what they learned from the initial lessons and apply it here.  

We will continue working on character traits in whole group and small group settings.  I love that I always have this fun example for students to use as a reference.

Now, I am off to check out all the other motivating activities.  Thank you, Joanne for hosting this awesome linky!

Have a great weekend! 

3 comments:

  1. Great idea, Mary! I hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving!
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you showed movie clips for character traits! And, what a great hook you gave them to get them interested! Very motivation Mary! :) Thank you for sharing and linking up! Have a great break!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have nominated you for the Liebster Award!!! Come by my blog to see what to do next!!!

    Brianne
    Hooo-Ray For Teaching

    ReplyDelete