Pages

Monday, June 15, 2015

It's Monday! What are you Reading?

Hooray!  It's summertime!  After almost two solid weeks of professional development, I am super excited to begin my first full week off.  I have already started into my (huge) stack of summer reading.  I am linking up with Kellee from Unleashing Readers and Jen from Teach Mentor Texts for their linky, It's Monday!  What are you Reading?


I just finished reading One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia.

One Crazy Summer

This book is about three children who leave their home in Brooklyn to visit their mother in Oakland.  Their mother had abandoned them seven years earlier.  The signs of a growing relationship are very subtle and slow.  The mother does not wish to spend much time with them.  She even sends her children off to a summer camp during the day.  The camp is sponsored by the Black Panthers.

In the end, there is a sense of a beginning to a relationship between the mother and her children.  Once I learned the secret behind the abandonment, Cecile, the mother, gained some sympathy.

It would be helpful for students to have some understanding of the time period (1968) and the basics about the Black Panthers (their belief in equality) for them to get the most out of this book.  The book is humorous, heartbreaking, and heartwarming - all in one. 


I am definitely headed over the the link up to check out all of the other great reads!  I am always looking for more great titles, and that is a great place for books!  Thank you Kellee and Jen for hosting such an awesome linky!

Have a great week!


6 comments:

  1. I have this one in my Media Center but haven't read it. It sounds like it would be good for kids who are interested in the time period. You can come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TWO weeks of PD?? That can be torture at the end of the year. Looking forward to catching up with your blog this summer. :)

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Gone Crazy in Alabama which is another story of those crazy sisters. Great book!
    Enjoy your summer.
    Michele
    Coffee Cups and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book so much I purchased a lit circle set. I've also got the sequels which readers gravitate to when they are finished this one in their classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this book on my shelf and haven't read it yet. I'm putting it on my list to "must read"
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been meaning to read this book for the longest time. Thanks for reminding me. I think there's already a sequel to this novel - have you checked that out too?

    ReplyDelete