Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Moving - The Good, The Bad, and The Freebie


Change is good.  Right?

I am currently in the process of switching rooms.  This change has definitely been good, well mostly.


*A huge perk of switching rooms is that my new room was painted last week.  I just love the yellow and green combo!  I have two walls painted each color.  I will share more photos of my room once it is presentable.


*I am now closer to my fourth grade team.
*I purged like crazy.  After teaching for 23 years, you accumulate a lot of "stuff".  I used to think I was good about pitching things I don't need, but boy was I wrong.  I still had plenty to get rid of!


*It took so. much. time.  Packing, purging, saving, deciding, moving, unpacking...
*Although my new room is set up very much like my former room, the layout is slightly different, and I will need to rethink my writing center.  For the past several years, I had a display of writing ideas that looked like this.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Writing-Ideas-772691

Now, there just isn't a good spot of it.
:(
I am toying around with putting the cards on a ribbon or finding another area in the room.  In the meantime, I wanted to make something I knew I could use right away.
That leads me to -


*The Common Core and our new writing program limit my students' time for free choice writing.  However, I am determined to find some time for my students to select their own topics and genres for their writing notebooks.  My previous students did a nice job referring to the posted list for inspiration, so I decided to make a list for students to keep in their notebooks.  Hopefully, I will find a way to make both resources available to my students this year.


If you would like this list for your students, you can download it here.

Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your week!

3 comments:

  1. I totally understand the goodness of being able to purge but the time it takes to do all that! Sometimes a fresh start is just what we need!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm moving rooms also, Mary! However, this time I was only in my current room for three years and I still NEED to purge! The room I am moving to is slightly smaller and I won't be able to take my book cases with me. They will be needed by the teacher moving into my current room. Luckily, there are closets in my new room as well as shelves on the wall, a luxury not in the current room. I think I'm going to be purging even more.... BOOKS! I have so many! I REALLY like how you posted writing ideas on the wall... CLEVER! Thanks for sharing the freebie list of free writing ideas. I think that's another great idea.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your list of writing ideas. I know the feeling of purging- I think it's something all teachers can relate to! I like the idea of having the students keep a list of writing ideas in their notebooks!

    ReplyDelete