Pages

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Energy Sticks

For the past two years, the fourth grade has departmentalized in our school.  I taught two sections of ELA and social studies, and my partner teacher taught math and science.  This year, we are down to three teachers, and we are going back to self-contained.

One thing that I am super excited about is that I get to teach science again.  Since the curriculum changed, the energy unit was moved from fifth grade to fourth grade.  When I taught fifth grade, that was my favorite unit.

http://residentialelectricity.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/cropped-bigstock_Shocking_Electricity_5070533.jpg

Earlier this summer, I attended some professional development to learn the fourth grade standards, and I left with a bag of goodies.  I am most looking forward to using the five Energy Sticks.


These sticks have a super sensitive circuit that can be completed with the very small amount of energy that travels through your skin.  When the circuit is complete, the stick lights up and makes a sound.  During the seminar, we all stood in a circle to represent a circuit.  When any two people released hands, the circuit was broken, and the stick no longer lit up.

Here is a quick video demonstration of the energy stick in action.


I can't wait to use the Energy Sticks for activities like creating circuits and testing materials to see if they are conductors or insulators.  I will make sure to update you when we give it a try.

The Energy Sticks are available on Amazon for $7.99 ($7.69 on Prime).

I'd love to hear if you've tried these in your classroom.  Let me know if you have any advice or ideas.

Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. So funny...we are switching from self contained to departmentalized, and I will be teaching SS and ELA! I teach in Ohio as well and am going to pass on the idea of energy sticks to my teammates. I'm looking forward to departmentalization...any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not seen these before, Mary! I am going to see if my team would like to order some of these. They are really neat! Thanks for sharing!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete