Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Organizing Writing Groups

One of my goals for this year is to get better organized with my writing groups.  I feel like my reading groups go well, and my individual writing conferences go well (usually).  However, I want to improve my writing groups.

I am linking up with The Primary Peach for their Organizational Tricks and Tools linky to share my plan for organizing my groups this year.


During the first week of school, we are required to get an "on demand" writing sample to assess where students are at with their writing skills.  My plan is to evaluate this writing and immediately record the area where each student would most benefit from additional instruction.  I created this form so I can write students' names in as I check their writing.


I plan to use this form for all three required types of "on demand" writing (narrative, opinion & informational) as well as any time I feel it is necessary.

Once I have my students organized into groups, I will need a better way to organize my plans.  Last year, I created a guided reading planning sheet (free here) that worked out very well.  I made a few adjustments to the form, and I am going to try it out for writing groups.


Next comes the fun part - designing the lessons.  I will be sure to share a few with you during the school year.

If you would like to use either or both of these forms, you can download them here.

Thank you, The Primary Peach for hosting this very helpful linky!
Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. This is amazing! Thank you SO much for sharing, Mary! I need this for my room big time. You are a genius!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete