Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Technology Thursday - Math App

This year I will go back to teaching math after teaching departmentalizing for the past two years.  Although I am excited about teaching math again, I know a lot has changed since the Common Core was implemented.

One of our first units covers prime and composite numbers.  I would love to incorporate some math rotations, including use of the iPads, so I went searching for an app to use for this unit.  I am linking of with the Teaching Trio for their Technology Thursday linky to share an app I found.


The app I plan on using is called Ninja Chicken. 

Image result for prime and composite game app ipad

A variety of numbers come passing through the screen, and student slice the spikes with composite numbers.  The game moves pretty quickly, and it is great practice for automaticity.

http://edusearchloadbalancer-966835560.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com/images/fullScreenShots/NinjaChicken/3.png 

Although I found several apps that practiced this skill, this one was definitely my favorite.  I hope my students will have as much fun playing this game as I did.

I am headed over to read all of the other great technology link ups.  Thank you, Teaching Trio for hosting this great linky!

2 comments:

  1. Loaded it! Thanks for the tip! I hadn't heard of that one before!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the game recommendation, Allison - I'll check it out.

    This game sounds a lot like one that I like to use with my students called Factor Samurai. I highly recommend it. Its basically Fruit Ninja for slicing composite numbers until they are down to their primes. For example, if you sliced the number 18 it would split to 6 and 3. The 6 could get sliced again down to 2 and 3 which are prime. Slicing a prime causes an strike, and 3 strikes ends the round. Kids love it and it really helps teach the concept. I like to make a high score leaderboard, too - this really motivates to students. They'll be downloading this one at home for sure.

    Shane
    Math is FunDamental

    ReplyDelete