Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Writing Goals

I made it back safely from vacation in North Carolina.  There was one shark sighting while we were at the beach, but we certainly enjoyed ourselves regardless!

Image result for animated shark
One of the first projects I tackled when I returned was making a display for students to post their writing goals.  During a conference I attended this summer, we reviewed the importance setting writing goals.  We talked about ways to display the goals in our classrooms.
Image result for goals 
Our presenters also shared the idea of having an "Expert Board".   Students could use this area to write down their areas of expertise.  When a student is struggling with a particular writing skill, they can refer to the expert board to find a helpful peer.

While I would love to have two separate displays in my room, space is definitely an issue.  I decided to come up with a way to combine the two displays.  Here is what I came up with.

 
My plan is for students to write their goals on (super sticky) Post-it Notes.  They will post their goals underneath the "We are working on..." side next to the appropriate category.  For example, a student might write, "I will write leads that grab my readers' attention."  They would place that goal to the left of the Structure poster.

After we complete our first writing project, I am going to have students reflect on their goals and change them if needed.  I am also going to have students identify their areas of expertise.  Students will post these in a similar manner.  For example, a student might write, "I can use similes to make my writing more interesting."  They would place that Post-it Note to the right of the Development poster.

If you are interested in downloading these posters, they are free in my TPT store, and you can get them here.

Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Love your writing goals posters! Great idea to combine them with what we are working on and we are experts!! Thanks for the freebie! Can't wait to implement this in my classroom! Love your ideas Mary!

    Susan
    Passioninportableland

    ReplyDelete