Pages

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Spark Student Motivation: Tagxedo (Freebie)


I really enjoy getting to know my students the first couple of weeks of school.  Today, I am linking up with the fabulous Joanne from Head Over Heels for Teaching to share one of my favorite activities from the past couple of years.

http://headoverheelsforteaching.blogspot.com/2015/08/spark-student-motivation-teacher.html 

I love using tagxedo.com with my students.  It is so much fun to see the words and shapes they choose to describe themselves.  I have created a couple of forms that I hope will make things run more smoothly as students are getting back into their routines and learning a new program.

First, I have students list 20 words about themselves.  Here are mine.


I have the students turn in their words so that I can check them over (and get an idea of who they are "at a glance").  After I have checked the words, I model how the program works by typing in my words.  Here's how my sample turned out.  (If you know me, you won't be at all surprised by the shape I chose!)


When the student go off to create their own shape word cloud, I give them this set of directions to make sure they stay on task and minimize "How do I...?" questions.


 If you are interested in downloading these two forms to assist your students in creating their own word clouds, you can download them here or by clicking on the image below.

 
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1SqGkXvhiroAMB75tMZle1kKeuf908mf3Yxs9k8IOWqM/edit#slide=id.p


Do you use tagxedo.com in your classroom?  I would love to hear some new ideas for how to use this awesome site!

Now, I am off to check out the other motivating ideas that are linked up.  A huge thank you to Joanne for hosting this awesome linky!

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea. I have never used this program. When I get my computers into my classroom for my students, I am going to try this. Thanks for sharing.
    Tammy
    Mrs. Flickinger's Butterfly Oasis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the forms! I was not sure how to use Tagxedo but I will try it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I hope you enjoy using the site!

      Delete