Pages

Monday, January 4, 2016

A book every teacher should read

Happy New Year Everyone!!!

Image result for happy new year 2016

I am extremely grateful to have had the time over winter break to catch up with family, friends, and hobbies.  One of my favorite hobbies is reading, and I was happy to have time to take some books of my seemingly infinite list.

Today, I am linking up with Kellee from Unleashing Readers and Jen from Teach Mentor Texts for their fun linky It's Monday, What Are You Reading?


This week, I finished reading Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt.  This is a great book about a student named Ally who struggled to learn to read.  She acted out as a defense mechanism, and she frequently found herself in the office.  When a substitute teacher, Mr. Daniels, took over teaching the class, Ally's learning (as well as other students' issues) started to make a change for the better.  

Product Details

What I liked most about this book is how I was able to see the motivations of a character who was acting out.  We all have those students who don't always follow the rules.  Reading this book was a strong reminder to really think about the possible reasons why students behave the way they do.  It may be learning struggles, family problems, peer pressure, or any number of reasons.  Mr. Daniels, although fictional, serves as a great role model for getting to know each child and coming up with a plan to help them.

My only problem with this book is deciding if I want to use it as a read aloud or literature circle group.  


I would love to hear what you think about this book and how you use it in your classroom.

That's all for today.  Thank you Kellee and Jen for hosting this linky.  It's so much fun to pick up some new reading ideas!

Have a great week!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Mary,

    Fish in a Tree is one of our favorite books - What a powerful story. Have you seen this video of Linda Mullahy Hunt talking about the book? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uyyteakceY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen this video, but I will definitely check it out. Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this book, but after reading One for the Murphy's, which I adored, this book didn't quite live up to my expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your book suggestion. I haven't read One for the Murphy's. I just saw the review on Amazon and put it in my cart! Have a great week!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few of my teacher-students really loved this novel, I still am hoping I'd get to read it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kelle and Jen for useful reading materials and inspiration for the upcoming week to read! It will be great to hear from you soon!

    ReplyDelete