Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2016

A Video and Poem for Onomatopoeia

For the past couple of weeks, we have been having fun with language. Today, I would like to share some of the activities we used for onomatopoeia.

After going over the definition and brainstorming examples, I showed students this catchy video.


For further practice, I typed out this fun poem for two voices and showed it on the SMART Board for choral reading.


This poem came from an awesome poetry book called, Messing Around on the Monkey Bars.  This book is full of fun poems for two voices.

Messing Around On The Monkey Bars And Other School Poems For Two Voices Messing Around On The Monkey Bars

I found some additional resources on Teachers Pay Teachers for more structured practice with all the figurative language we covered. These worksheets by Rachel Lynette provide excellent practice.

Figurative Language: Idioms, Similes, Metaphors, etc. CCSS

As we finished working on each figurative language concept, students worked on the snow globe activity found in this fun set of craftivities from Runde's Room.

December Craftivities - Literacy-Themed Craftivities for December

I am looking forward to posting about some more activities we used for figurative language.  I would love to hear if you have a favorite activity to share.


***I also wanted to let you know that I am in the process of a big change.  Sometime in future, I definitely see myself teaching younger students.  It may not work out next year (which is fine because I LOVE my fourth graders).  However, I am in the process of changing my name to represent a new beginning that will occur at some point in the future.  Fit to be Fourth will soon be Elementary Engagement.

I have started to switch over my TPT store.  While I am changing my name, I am also updating many of my products.  This is a long process, but I hope to have big improvements in all areas, including my blog.  More information on that is coming soon!

Click on the picture below to see the change in progress.

Elementary Engagement

Thank you, and have a great week!

1 comment: