Pages

Saturday, January 9, 2016

Spark Student Motivation - Compliment Craze


I think one of the biggest ways to motivate students is for them to receive encouragement from their peers.  Today, I am linking up with Joanne from Head Over Heels for Teaching for her inspiring linky, Spark Student Motivation Saturday.  I'm going to share one way for students to motivate each other.


After a completing a recent opinion writing project, I wanted to find a different way for students to share and celebrate their accomplishments. When students were all finished with their final drafts, I had them clear off their desks, leaving only the final print out.  I then handed out this paper.


Students had their writing and the Compliment Craze paper on their desks. Next, they walked around the room, read each other's writing, and wrote a specific compliment for each one.

Before beginning this activity, we talked about the difference between general comments and specific compliments.


I feel like the students learned a lot by reading their peers' writing.  They appeared far more engaged than when we read them all aloud in class.  I will definitely keep this strategy in the mix for celebrating future writings.

If you would like to use the "Compliment Craze" form I used for this activity, you can download it here.

That's all for today.  I am heading over to Head Over Heels for Teaching for some more motivation.  Thank you, Joanne for hosting this linky!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

6 comments:

  1. I really appreciate how students are compelled by an authentic task to read their classmates' writing closely because they've been asked to be specific in their praise, Those specific comments are much more valuable than any general praise. Love this idea! Thanks for sharing!! Tweet me at @bucybetsy. Follow my blog at http://inspiredinterventionist.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My students definitely enjoyed seeing what others wrote about their writing.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this! My students just completed their Winter Stories and we're going to do a gallery walk tomorrow. This will be perfect.
    Janie
    Are We There Yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I am happy to hear you can use this. I hope your students enjoy it as much as mine did.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. You are welcome! My students had a lot of fun reading the comments from their peers.

      Delete